Tolkiens Arda – Sveriges stora Tolkienforum

Välkommen till Sveriges stora Tolkienforum! Klicka här för att gå till förstasidan.
Aktuellt datum och tid: fre mar 29, 2024 5:34 am

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 2 inlägg ] 
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik: Tolkien som kodknäckare?
InläggPostat: mån sep 21, 2009 7:39 am 
Creator of stars
Användarvisningsbild

Media has recently reported that JRR Tolkien just before the war took a course in cipher analysis, was offered a job but turned it down. He was, in other words, nearly one with Alan Turing and the guys cracking the German Enigma ciphers:

http://www.securityoracle.com/news/Tolk ... 15897.html

"British intelligence chiefs chose Tolkien -- one of the top language experts of his generation -- for a job cracking Nazi codes in 1939.
Tolkien, an Oxford University professor who died in 1973, was one of 50 intellectuals specially chosen for secret training.
The story is revealed in newly-released documents being exhibited at GCHQ -- Britain's modern spy center in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, west of London.
The word "keen" is written on Tolkien's training file, and historians think he was a code-breaking whiz, easily passing the training course at the Government Code and Cypher School, the old name for the GCHQ.
But Tolkien rejected the offer of a job at the famous Bletchley Park code-breaking center on a salary of £500 (about $826) -- equivalent to about £50,000 (about $82,600) today. ... A GCHQ historian – who could not give his name because of security reasons – joked to the UK's The Telegraph: "We simply don't know why he didn't join. Perhaps it was because we declared war on Germany and not Mordor." ...
Unfortunately for Lord of the Rings fans hoping to make a pilgrimage to the museum, the Enigma exhibit at the GCHQ is nearly as top secret as the code-breaking work: It's only open to headquarters' employees."

And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

Inläggsrubrik: Re: Tolkien som kodknäckare?
InläggPostat: mån sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm 
Noldo
Användarvisningsbild

Älva skrev:
A GCHQ historian – who could not give his name because of security reasons – joked to the UK's The Telegraph: "We simply don't know why he didn't join. Perhaps it was because we declared war on Germany and not Mordor."

Ha. Ha. Ha. :roll:
Det var i alla fall en intressant nyhet, Älva! Tack för att du delade den. Vem kunde trott det? :o

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 2 inlägg ] 

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme