Tolkiens Arda – Sveriges stora Tolkienforum

Välkommen till Sveriges stora Tolkienforum! Klicka här för att gå till förstasidan.
Aktuellt datum och tid: tor mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme

Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 18 inlägg ]  Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2
Författare Meddelande
 Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: tor apr 27, 2006 11:28 am 
Maia
Användarvisningsbild

Definitionen av league verkar variera en del beroende på vem man frågar, men den variant jag tror är vanligast är att 1 league = 3 miles, dvs 4,827 km. Om det sedan var den definitionen Tolkien använde, det vete fåglarna...

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: tor apr 27, 2006 12:39 pm 
Creator of stars
Användarvisningsbild

Den stegrande kamelen skrev:
Definitionen av league verkar variera en del beroende på vem man frågar, men den variant jag tror är vanligast är att 1 league = 3 miles, dvs 4,827 km. Om det sedan var den definitionen Tolkien använde, det vete fåglarna...

He he... ja. Men då får man en lite bättre uppfattning om avståndet i alla fall. :wink:

And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

Inläggsrubrik:
InläggPostat: lör apr 29, 2006 1:27 pm 
Maia
Användarvisningsbild

Den stegrande kamelen skrev:

Så här säger Karen Wynn Fonstad i The Atlas of Middle-earth:

Citera:
[H]ow long is a league? Its distance has varied in different times and countries from 2.4 to 4.6 miles. Multiplying such variance by a hundred or more resulted in unacceptable, unusable data; but at last with the release of Unfinished Tales, a definitive figure was given. A league "in Númenórean reckoning … was very nearly three of our miles."

Och Fonstad förstår "mile" som Kamelen, det vill säga som en engelsk mil. Om man istället förstår "mile" som en nautisk mil, så får man Dannes uppgift.

Vill man ha ett mer exakt besked är det bara att läsa vad som står i Unfinished Tales:

Citera:
A note associated with the passage in "The Disaster of the Gladden Fields" concerning the different routes from Osgiliath to Imladris (pp. 283 and 290-91, note 6) runs as follows:

Measures of distance are converted as nearly as possible into modern terms. "League" is used because it was the longest measurement of distance: in Númenórean reckoning (which was decimal) five thousand rangar (full paces) made a lár, which was very nearly three of our miles. Lár meant "pause," because except in forced marches a brief halt was usually made after this distance had been covered [see note 9 above]. The Númenórean ranga was slightly longer than our yard, approximately thirty-eight inches, owing to their great stature. Therefore five thousand rangar would be almost exactly the equivalent of 5280 yards, our "league:" 5277 yards, two feet and four inches, supposing the equivalence to be exact. This cannot be determined, being based on the lengths given in histories of various things and distances that can be compared with those of our time. Account has to be taken both of the great stature of the Númenóreans (since hands, feet, fingers and paces are likely to be the origin of names of units of length), and also of the variations from these averages or norms in the process of fixing and organising a measurement system both for daily use and for exact calculations. Thus tworangar was often called "man-high," which at thirty-eight inches gives an average height of six feet four inches; but this was at a later date, when the stature of the Dúnedain appears to have decreased, and also was not intended to be an accurate statement of the observed average of male stature among them, but was an approximate length expressed in the well-known unit ranga. (The ranga is often said to have been the length of the stride, from rear heel to front toe, of a full-grown man marching swiftly but at ease; a full stride "might be well nigh a ranga and a half.") It is however said of the great people of the past that they were more than a man-high. Elendil was said to be "more than man-high by nearly half a ranga;" but he was accounted the tallest of all the Númenóreans who escape the Downfall [and was indeed generally known as Elendil the Tall]. The Eldar of the Elder Days were also very tall. Galadriel, "the tallest of all the women of the Eldar of whom tales tell," was said to be man-high, but it is noted "according to the measure of the Dúnedain and the men of old," indicating a height of about six feet four inches.

The Rohirrim were generally shorter, for in their far-off ancestry they had been mingled with men of broader and heavier build. Éomer was said to have been tall, of like height with Aragorn; but he with other descendants of King Thengel were taller than the norm of Rohan, deriving this characteristic (together in some cases with darker hair) from Morwen, Thengel's wife, a lady of Gondor of high Númenórean descent.

Visa inlägg nyare än:  Sortera efter  
Ny tråd Svara på tråd  [ 18 inlägg ]  Gå till sida Föregående  1, 2

Alla tidsangivelser är UTC + 1 timme